Sunday, March 9, 2008

Connections in Washington D.C.

It's all about the networking, not the Benjamin's.

I figured going to Washington D.C., for Ecumenical Advocacy Days that I would recognize a few people, some of the other students I'm with would also know a few, and we would basically be making some contacts that could help us in the future. Little did I know, we would know a ton of people. I, unlike my colleagues, know the least amount of people here, but still somehow know a ridiculous amount of people.

I was able to reconnect with a bunch of contacts out of Albany, NY. Then I met people I know from home and from Gettysburg, plus there are the contacts that I have made thus far, conversations had with some lovely liberals, and the future of my ministry contacts has been forged.

So far I have made three really great contacts in the field of human trafficking, plus another connection to the World Council of Churches. I've talked to a ton of people who work in the ELCA advocacy office, plus a bunch from Lutheran World Relief, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services, and have gotten some ecumenical young adult connections. I'm excited about all of this for several reasons.
1. I'm writing my paper on Human Trafficking for my seminar on Human Rights.
2. I'd like to do some extensive work within the advocacy sector.
3. I think issues of social justice are what called me to ministry and thus I should be engaging myself in the world of advocacy.

The weekend was an eye-opening experience, lobbying seems to be almost a natural event in my life. It was awesome to be able to plan to talk to my representation, but a little overwhelming to have such a large agenda. Out of this weekend, I've realized I'd like to focus some of my attention and ministry to working with some NGO's about human trafficking.

I've been doing research for my final paper for the Seminar on Human Rights that I am in, but it seems to be drawing me deeper into the world of human trafficking, and advocacy.
The U.S. government estimates that some 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders annually and millions more are trafficked within their own countries. They are coerced into indentured servitude or bonded labor, bought and sold into prostitution, domestic servitude or farm labor and captured to serve as child soldiers. Approximately 80 percent of transnational victims are female, and up to 50 percent are minors. Most females are trafficked into commercial sexual exploitation.
(Quote from U.S.Department of State
I'd really like to be able to use my talents to help those in trafficking situations, to help lobby congress and the senate, and also to spread the message and awareness to the huge issue of human trafficking.

Although this post will just focus on Advocacy Days, I will dedicate my next post to trafficking, information I've learned over the past few months, as well as organizations to look up. Also when I complete my op-ed piece as well as my final paper, I will include some nuggets of information for anyone who wants it.

Advocacy days was a really great event, and I recommend it to any Christian who wishes to engage their faith in the public forum. I think it is important, especially for young adults, to realize that there is a connection to our faith in daily life, in the organization of the government, and that we all have a voice, and a right to say how we feel that country is running. I challenge everyone to write a letter, email, and/or call their representatives and question their choices on votes/ideology or anything of the sort. The government needs to be questioned, that's why we are a democracy! The government officials should be forced to follow what the people want, but they can't do that unless we step up and tell them what we want. If the only people they hear from are the arms dealers that call twice a week to push their agenda, they have no other option then to think that the American people don't care about gun control laws, safety in schools, or American diplomacy in Africa.

It's time to stand up! Stand up and realize we are being held up, we are being forced to be a part of a country that is aiding in the deaths of millions of people around the globe. We need to stand up and say no to the increase in military spending in the middle east, stand up and declare a new definition of what true security is, stand up and say that we want to create a more humanity based diplomacy instead of a military based one. So stand up with me! Call your representative, call your senator, tell them how you feel, tell them to change the priorities of spending, and tell them you won't go away, you are their people, you are their constituent and you represent a lot of others who feel the same way. Tell them you want people to have a fair chance at happiness, freedom and peace, you want people to be treated humanly, and you want them to take action NOW! Look up contact info for your representatives here, courtesy of Bread for the World.

I am more then willing to explain to anyone the intricacies of letter writing, calling or even visiting your representation. So please ask, please do, please stand up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home